Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happy Day After Election Day!


I'd intended to take a picture with my voting receipt, but I lost the damn thing. Oh well. Trust me, I voted.


There are no newspapers available in the world today. It's ludicrous. Everybody on the planet wants a newspaper that says "Obama Wins!" Should have printed my own paper today. That woulda been smart.

So little writing got done today so far. Hope I can push through to a couple hundred more words. Totally uninspired in terms of making some sense of a story. Just writing bits and pieces that don't go together very well. Gah.

Realize I've been posting really long excerpts. Let's try to keep it shorter today so that someone might actually read it.

This is a silly scene between Lincoln and Mary. It's fun writing them together -- somehow Mary comes off as a fun-loving, clever girl. Everything I've read about her has her as paranoid and temperamental, but hey, it's fiction for a reason.

Lincoln returned to his own house, all but certain that he would accept Bell’s offer, or at the very least, participate in his plan. He was sure that Bell had not been entirely honest with him – he was a politician after all, was he not? – but that did not overly concern him. He felt sure that with the help of his friends – such as Jesse Dubois here in Springfield and Joshua Speed in Kentucky and his numerous other friends around the country, that whatever Bell had actually planned, he would be more than ready to see through it.
He entered the house, the nurse attending to the children’s bedtime needs, Mary attending to her own in her bedroom. He entered without knocking, finding her in a state of half-undress.
“Mr. Lincoln!” she shouted. “What is the meaning of this?”
“Mrs. Lincoln, how would you like to be the First Lady of the United States?”
“Why, I’m not sure that President Buchanan is looking for a wife, but I suppose I would find it agreeable,” Mary joked.
Lincoln laughed uproariously, nearly shaking the house. He suddenly took his wife into his arms and kissed her. “Oh, Mary, that is why I love you!” he said.
“Because I would leave you for the President of the United States if I thought that he’d take me?” Mary smiled and pressed her forehead against her husband’s. “Honestly, Abe, what is this all about?”
“Would you be too upset if we had to move from here to Washington?”
“It’s an awfully long journey,” Mary said. “I’m not sure my constitution is strong enough for it.”
Lincoln playfully swatted Mary’s rear. “I’d say your constitution is plenty strong enough for that and more.”
“You are a naughty man, Mr. Lincoln,” Mary said coquettishly. “But really, what’s this all about? Stop beating around the bush.”
“I’ll do more than beat around….” Lincoln stopped at a look from his wife. “My apologies, lady. I ask you these questions because I would like to know your thoughts on my putting my hat in the ring for the presidency.”
“For the coming election?” Mary asked.
“Indeed, a mere fifteen months from now, the people will choose a new president. I would have them choose me.”
Mary smiled. “I could think of no better man for them to choose.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home