Monday, November 17, 2008

Word 30,000


It snowed today. In a few moments, there was accumulation. This is ridiculous!

Word 30,000? Fittingly enough, it was "Kate." She has taken over this "novel" almost completely. Just writing a scene where she catches sight of Lincoln and I realized that it had been over a week since I wrote anything for him. Funny how the first week of November I felt I was so deeply entrenched in Lincoln's head that he was like someone I knew. After a week of writing for Kate, when she see him, I really felt like I no longer knew him at all. Real bizarre.

I'm so much more favorable towards Pinkerton lately. Turns out he was a staunch abolitionist, real seeker of justice.... The Deadwood stuff, of course, comes from one of the most vile people (Swearengen) and naturally he would be opposed to someone who was looking to put an end to his criminal way of life. On the other hand, Pinkerton (or Pinkerton agents) were hired by coal mines to bust up unions and deal harshly with thieves and organizers.... Tough to know, really, which side the man stood on.

Still little hope of integrating this all. People ask me if they can read it when I'm all done and with this one, more than any other, I don't think I'll ever be done. I guess they (you) can read it in its entirety, but....there's right now a real big jump in structure, tone, voice, character between the two parts. Not sure if it makes for a good read. Maybe someone will have a concept of how to put it all together. I'm too deeply into the need to get the words done, perhaps I can leave it to someone else to decide how to put them into the right places, or if it's even worth it....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home