Friday, November 7, 2008

A letter...

From John Wilkes Booth to Jesse K. Dubois (Dubois was State Auditor of Illinois and close friend of Lincoln's. Following Lincoln's election in 1860, Dubois was repeatedly disappointed by Lincoln's decision not to give him a cushy government job as part of his administration. It's a really strange thing, reading Dubois' letters to Lincoln. It seems so out of character for Lincoln not to have given him a job, because, by all accounts, they were good buddies. Just another thing, that under the color of my conspiracy writing, seems really shady. Anyhow -- having Booth and Dubois meet at Lincoln's inauguration [never happened, far as I know] was fun, and now gives me an excuse to have Booth toy with the poor guy.)

“My esteemed Mr. Dubois,
I hope you find it acceptable that I am writing to you. Following our meeting this past March in Washington, I found myself researching you & your esteemed career. A State Auditor! A former Legislator! And a family man to boot. How are Mary and little Abraham? (You named your son after your close friend! Touching!)
More importantly (no slight upon your wonderful family of course) how are you faring? I scan the newspapers daily with hopes of seeing the announcement of your triumphant appointment to some office or another within our President’s inner circle, and daily I have been (thus far) disappointed. But perhaps not as disappointed as you are? Or should I say, ‘unappointed’? Forgive me a chuckle at that. As an actor, I am constantly seeking out every opportunity for a witty rejoinder. A verbal puzzle. Do these tickle you as they do me? I imagine that they do not. You, sir, are undoubtedly of such a stature as to be above such childish things. Or perhaps, as your life has kept you buried in the ledger books of your great state, you speak better with numbers; are better acquainted with figures; feel more at home amongst the calculations. Regardless, even a man such as yourself will have to admit that such a remark – calling a man hoping for a Federal position who has yet to receive one from his dear, dear friend, the President, ‘unappointed’ – has its merits in the world of humor, and it must strike close to the target.
Do you find yourself disappointed as you remain unappointed? Have you simply accepted the fact that you are to remain in Lincoln’s past, forgotten by history as your friend (the President) makes his own? Do you feel that if he would just answer your letters and heed your cries that you could add your considerable weight to the matters at hand? Has word traveled back to quaint Springfield (I adore your little town, having traveled through it on journeys to bigger, more civilized places) that we are now at war? Forgive me if that comes as a shock, but it is true, sir. The United States is at war with herself, and threatens to tear apart at the seams. But, this last is neither here nor there. What is important is your own state of mind. I simply must know it.
Most admiringly,
John Wilkes Booth

P.S. If you ever find yourself vacationing in Washington, D.C., just tell the gentleman at the box office of the Ford Theater your name. You will find that I have left you two standing tickets, good for any performance, at any time.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home